Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Busy Week(s)

My first two weeks have gone well, but have been busy, busy.

I've cranked out 8,000 words spread over two stories (well, one feature story and one set of news briefs). I've learned about corporate governance, Indian employee stock option plans, Japanese patent law and a host of other topics, most of which are surprisingly interesting to me.

Did you know that China recently passed a law giving private property the same protections as public property? Did you know that Japan recently completed a high profile criminal trial in just over 12 months, when a comparable trial in the past might have taken eight years? Did you know that the Khmer Rouge trials have been delayed because the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia is demanding foreign lawyers pay huge fees to the Bar in order to take part in the trials? It may not be interesting to you, but it has been to me.

Plus, I'm traveling next week, sooner than I had anticipated. I'll be in Beijing for two days and Shanghai for two days, interviewing lawyers, accountants and other business types to learn all about China's new corporate income tax law, which is also -- perhaps, again, surprisingly -- a fascinating topic. I seem to have found a great niche!

Plus, every night when I wait for the bus at Statue Square, I get this view:


That's the Bank of China Tower rising over the Legislative Council (Legco) building. My commute costs about 90 U.S. cents a day for a 20- to 30-minute, double-decker bus ride each way, depending on traffic. When will I ever again have such an incredibly cheap commute?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happiness in any job is 99% of the total job satisfaction. It is also nice to be paid well, however low satisfaction and high pay is not good either. Enjoy your new job,glad to hear your really enjoying it. I still think, you sitting on a tremendous opportunity, there is a book publishing somewhere in the future.