Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in Hong Kong

I've been researching and writing feverishly for the past month - something like 48,000 words over the past several weeks - to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. As such, I am now well-versed on corporate legal issues from Canada to Chile, and pretty much every country in between.

The writing was in preparation for a six week business trip to Hong Kong, where I will now edit the chapters of six or seven other writers who have been covering the rest of the world, and coordinate the editorial content of a book which last year was close to 1,500 page.

It's great to be back, and I'll write more. I'm horribly jetlagged right now, but wanted to post a few photos of my home for the next six weeks.


Dining room

Bedroom

Closet

Kitchen

The kitchen is nice. It has a dishwasher, microwave, small refrigerator, lots of cupboard space and full set of pots and pans, but no rice cooker, which seems odd (and inconvenient) considering I am in China. I will see if I can scrounge an extra from any of my co-workers for the next few weeks.

Shelly and I were wondering what kind of view I would have. We guessed, mostly correctly, that my view would be of the neighboring buildings. The floor plan, which we checked out ahead of time, shows four windows, plus one in the bathroom, so I thought there might be a chance of catching a corner of a good view out of one of those windows.

What I got was not even as good as a view of the buildings across the streets, though I can see those, too. If you've been reading this blog for long, you might remember a photo from shortly after we moved to Hong Kong of the building across the street from us in Happy Valley shrouded by green fabric stretched over bamboo scaffolding. I now know what that view looks like from the inside:


Also out my kitchen window, I can see one of the workers' water bottles. I'm thinking I should refill it in hopes of making him wonder how it got refilled, but neither the rope holding it nor my arms are long enough.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks great....except for that hawkeye hat in the closet!!