Thursday, July 06, 2006

Did Mom Sell Her Cookbook?

I haven't seen this cookbook for years.

I remember getting our first microwave -- or "Radarange," as Amana called it -- when I was just a kid. It must have been in the mid-1970s. It came with gigantic dials: the top dial for cooking from 0 to 5 minutes, the lower for longer periods. It was noisy, but state-of-the-art for the time, I'm sure.

It either came with, or Mom purchased separately, a Radarange cookbook. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a Radarange cookbook in the used book section of our local supermarket last week. Looking at the inside, it had evidently been sold at a garage sale for $1, somehow made its way to the Philippines, and was on sale for 200 pesos, or around $4.

I'll bet it's still there. I'll bet if I look for it again at Christmas, it will *still* be there.

No comments: