Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Big Snake

It's Monday night, take-the-trash-to-the-curb night, one week from the night I encountered a four foot black snake slithering into our garage.

I had just gone out to load the trash into the big garbage can when I saw what looked like a big, black snake.

"That piece of rubber looks a lot like a big, black snake," I said, probably aloud.

Then it moved, moving, unfortunately, into the garage. It looked like a big, black snake because, well, it was a big, black snake. I tried to turn the light on, but the power is connected to a switch in the house, which happened to be turned off. I ran in, turned on the light and called my neighbor Vivian.

"You know those big, black snakes that you hate so much?" I asked. "Well, if one of them bites me, what will it do to me?"

Armed with little more than Vivian's reassurance that a bite from this particular snake wouldn't kill me -- though it might hurt, she conceded -- I headed back to the garage, put on a pair of work gloves, picked up the garden rake and started hunting. If there had been a pair of safety goggles handy, I probably would have put those on, too.

Digging in the wood pile -- if you can call it that when you're using a rake to rearrange firewood -- yielded nothing. Pulling the old freezer away from the wall resulted in the same thing. That was probably okay, though. What was I going to do? Somehow convince it to wrap itself around the tines of the rake long enough for me to toss it back into the yard?

As I pondered my next move, the snake slid nonchalantly out the other side of the door, having made nearly a complete circuit through the garage. More importantly for both of us, it spared me from my first attempt at snake wrangling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must have created quite a spectacle! Glad it left of it's own accord:-)

Greg said...

You're not kidding. Growing up in Iowa, I'm used to seeing cute little garter snakes, but never anything as big as this monster.

With luck, it will eat the mole that inhabits our back yard.