Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It's the Chicken McDo


...and, if this advertisement is at all accurate, the chicken this leg came from must have had the longest leg bone in history.

From the size of the meaty portion of the chicken leg -- I'm sure Shelly would tell me there is a better term than "meaty portion" -- this guy can't be holding the leg with more than his thumb and index finger, can he?

Down at the lower left corner, there's a big "24." That's followed by the McDonald's delivery number, with delivery available 24 hours a day in Metro Manila. Twenty minutes or so later, a 20-something man will roll up to your house on a red and yellow motorbike to deliver your Egg McMuffin or Hot Apple Pie.

Visiting McDonald's outlets around the world is interesting, as there's almost always something different than you'll find at home. In the Philippines, it's fried chicken and McSpaghetti, complete with bits of hot dog in the sauce. In Japan, I enjoyed the egg and bacon burger (though it must have been hell on my arteries). McDonald's opened in New Delhi two weeks after I left India, or I could have tried the Maharajah Mac, a Big Mac made with ... mutton.

Actually, McDonald's on Maryland's Eastern Shore has an occasional seasonal offering, including the McCrabcake sandwich. Maybe it's not actually called the "McCrabcake," but regardless of its name, it is by far the worst crab cake I've ever had.

And, for some reason, I was surprised by that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, Mickey D's would benefit by importing some of the ideas from their foreign restaurants. In particular, the fountains by the garbage (like in Tokyo) to dump the extra soda into before tossing the cup would be a nice addition to find the next time I find myself in one of their restaurants.

Bernadine

Disclaimer: Although I actively tried to avoid American chains in any country I've gone to (I don't eat it much in the US, why do it there), I did subcome to convenience upon occasion.

Anonymous said...

What the frick? This site is about your cat? Hey, what sort of McKitty sandwich do they serve in Bangladesh?

You want a REAL pet? One that will be loyal to you, no matter what, stick with you when all are against you? When the whole world is laughing at you? I bet you already know.