Monday, August 07, 2006

I Drive Too Fast

I've been trying for several months now to grab a photo of a Filipino hearse, but something always goes wrong: I'm alone in the car, it's too dark, it's raining, there's too much traffic, or something else. The best I've done so far is this shot, which Shelly grabbed for me today as we drove home from church. We were passing the funeral procession, she had the camera ready, and I shot right past the actual hearse, mistaking this lead car full of flowers for the hearse.

Why, you might ask, am I trying to take a picture of a hearse? Well, unlike hearses at home, the back end of most hearses I've seen here are glass-enclosed. Whether that's so passersby can see the casket or so the deceased can see where he's going, I don't know...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Norway we watched the priest walk in front of the hearse and all of the family and mourners walk behind the hearse to the cemetery. No pictures, but interesting to see how others handle the whole matter