Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Prunes, Apricots and Bacon

I've been here long enough to have a pretty good idea of where to find things in a Filipino grocery store. Usually, they're stocked in much the same place as they are at home. Dairy is in the back so you have to walk through the whole store to get there. Sugary cold cereal is eye-level for kids; bran is eye-level for adults.

But every once in a while, I have trouble finding something. And it's no wonder. My local supermarket yesterday featured this oh-so-logical collection of dried apricots, prunes, raisins and ... bacon.

Of course, if I had actually been in the market for a package of Hormel brand "Real Crumbled Bacon," I never would have found it. I probably would have been wasting my time in, oh, the canned meat aisle, for some reason.

No comments: