Saturday, June 23, 2007

Fashion Trends

Posted by Shelly

When I lived in Tokyo in the 80s I was told that fashion starts in Tokyo and Paris and then works its way east and west. Fortunately some trends don’t make it across the Pacific (6 inch tall platform boots were a rage in Tokyo in the 90s). I have been watching the Asian fashion scene since arriving in Manila last year. In Manila, pink was the in color. Last winter in HK knee-high boots with long shorts were popular. If there was fringe on the boots it was even better. Now, the look of choice is thigh length shirts with a gathered hem (every time I see one I think of the velour shirt with an elastic waistband that I had in elementary school).


They also put gathered hems on skirts.


If you can trim the outfit with lace and an oversized handbag it is ideal. The final result is a very shapeless baggy look.

When I was in China two weeks ago, I casually commented to two Shanghaiese women that I liked Shanghai fashion (1950s inspired sleeveless sundresses with full skirts) better than HK fashion. I was a bit surprised with their quick reply – “Of course, and the women from Shanghai are more beautiful too.”

No comments: