Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Come on Down!

Through the magic of the Internet, I managed this past weekend to watch Bob Barker’s last “The Price is Right!” episode. I hadn’t watched TPIR for years, but had good memories of watching the show when I was a kid. It was the highlight of a sick day.

A number of things caught my attention while watching the show.

* Bob Barker was born in 1923, which makes him 83 years old. He looks really good for 83.

* Bob is amazingly popular with people who are in their early 20s. All but one of the contestants on his last show looked like they were in college – which they probably were, considering that one of the contestants said he had camped out for five days to get on the show.

* The set doesn’t seem to have changed much since I was a kid. It’s still all reddish and orangish with some decidedly low-tech sets.

* It was fun. Not so much fun that I would watch it every day, but fun all the same.

The other thing I noticed is that while I may have been good at pricing at one point, I have been overseas for too long to do it well anymore. Now if there were a Hong Kong version …

No comments: