Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Check Your Firearms at the Door

I did a doubletake when I saw this sign near the national elections building in Intramuros a couple weekends ago.



It's appropriate though, as nearly everywhere I go -- hotels, the mall, the bank, tourist attractions -- there are security guards armed with shotguns, such as this guard at the old fort in Intramuros.




When Bobby was in college 25 years ago, he told me, he worked as a shotgun-toting security guard in Makati, Manila's central business district. I wondered aloud whether he had ever shot anyone.

"I never shot at anybody," he said. "Just over their heads, to scare them."

For the record, in my one short month in the Philippines, I have yet to feel threatened. Whether that's because of all the armed guards or in spite of them, well, I'm not sure.

No comments: