Friday, November 04, 2005

EPISODE 58: In Which I Try The Chocolate Toothpaste, And Actually Like It

Who says chocolate toothpaste is all bad?

After thinking there was no way I would brush with Close-Up "Choco Loco" chocolate-flavored toothpaste, I found myself in the toothpaste aisle at the Makati Supermarket yesterday with a bundle of single- (or maybe double-) use foil packs of Choco Loco staring me in the face.

"New Close-Up Flavalicious insanely delicious flavours enriched with Vitamin-Fluoride System for Complete Mouth Fitness" the package screamed. "Really stronger teeth, whiter teeth, healthy gums and fresher breath!"

The packaging -- "Limited Edition" -- went on to assure me that the "NEW active gel" would provide me with "a delicious indulgence of rich chocolate flavour with a hint of mint!"

How could I refuse?

Not sure what to expect, I gave Shelly one of the foil packs so we could compare opinions. The paste, far from the chocolate color I was expecting, is mostly toothpaste-colored, primarily white with just a hint of brown, making it a very pleasant light tan.

The taste reminds me of a chocolate mint Jelly Belly jelly bean ... more minty than chocolatey, and actually much better tasting than I had anticipated. It left my mouth minty, though it didn't seem to give me that long-lasting clean feeling that I'm used to.

When Shelly got home from work today, I asked her what she thought of it. She thought for a moment, then said it tasted like a chocolate mint Jelly Belly jelly bean.

Apparently, we're working on the same wavelength here ... or Close-Up Choco Loco really does taste like a chocolate mint Jelly Belly jelly bean.

There's more on the Close-Up Web site.


Computer update: Generally, I'm having no problem readjusting to the slower pace of life in the tropics, but two computer issues have been frustrating me lately, making me wish for the (generally) much better American service. (Don't let Comcast hear me say that, though.)

I somehow managed to screw up our DSL connection on Tuesday night and, since it's a holiday week, there are few technicians available to help me solve my problem. I've called four times now, as well as having a Filipina friend call for me. I think it's a five-minute job, but I've been waiting almost two days now for help with my simple problem. I think I'm familiar enough with the DSL modem to make the changes myself with a technician on the phone, but it sounds like someone will come to the house and fix it for me ... eventually. In the meantime, I'll continue to write nearly every day and post when possible. Friday is the end of Ramadan, and therefore another day off, even in this predominantly Catholic country.

On the issue of my computer, it's been in the shop for a week now, with no sign yet of the memory that has been ordered from Singapore. I was clearly being too optimistic when I hoped it would be ready today.

"We hope the memory will be here next week," the service department said when I called today.

Me, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess you can practice the adage "Patience is a virture". There don't seem to be many other options!

Vivian said...

you will have to send me some of the chocolate toothpaste for my neices, and oh yes, my sister who absolutely loves chocolate!

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to receive 4 different flavored toothpaste packets from Greg this Christmas. So far, I've tried the Choco Loco. It's surprisingly good. I think it taste like Andes mints. I find that I'm brushing my teeth longer because of the interesting flavor. However, Greg shouldn't take this to mean he should send me more! I still prefer my mint Colgate!