Friday, December 30, 2005

Any Help with Zombies?

Bobby and I spent today in Manila, picking up my computer -- believe me, after paying the repair bill, I hope I never drop this thing again -- and getting Shelly's sewing machine fixed.

Now, Shelly's sewing machine belonged to her great grandmother on her mom's side, so finding parts for it isn't easy. Fortunately, Bobby used to be a Manila taxi driver, and seems to know where to find everything. He took one look at the sewing machine and said, "oh, it's a Singer. We'll go to the Singer shop."

And so we did.

Around on the back side of the building, we found a combination Singer repossession sale and repair shop. I had no idea that Singer makes television sets, refrigerators and washing machines. (Perhaps they don't in the U.S.) I signed the machine in with the guard, and a service manager took it away. Bobby and I settled down with the security guard and few other assorted people to watch parts of three movies blaring on the probably-repossessed large screen television set, including the end of some movie starring The Rock on HBO and then, on Star Movies, the end of Bruce Almighty, the movie where Jim Carrey ends up with all of God's powers. After that finished, we were back to HBO to a movie where a group of people were trapped in a shopping mall, trying to remain out of the reach of the rest of humanity, which had all turned into zombies. (Remember, I missed the beginning of this gem.)

Actually, I was totally into this movie, so much so that I didn't notice that a clerk had gone around behind the TV, until he disconnected the cable from the big screen TV and hooked it into a smaller set that someone wanted to buy.

"HBO, HBO!" someone called out.

"32! 32!" someone else cried.

"Hurry up," I thought. "I want to see what happens next."

The clerk switched the channel, grimacing, probably worrying that zombies on the screen would send the old lady interested in the set scurrying out the door. We watched the zombies on the small screen. The lady bought the TV, and the zombies moved back to the big screen.

Ten minutes later, the sewing machine repair was finished. Unfortunately, I'll never know how to defeat an army of zombies.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Greg - Dawn of the Dead - great movie. Was it the original with slow zombies or the remake with fast zombies? Makes a big difference in how to defeat them!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, great story. I love stumbling on to random movies.