Saturday, December 03, 2005

I Feel Like I'm Back on Guam

I feel like I'm back on Guam.

As I was editing and finalizing this week's worth of posts (I don't usually post a week's worth at once, but it's been a busy week!), the power went out. On Guam, it was a weekly occurrence, and it was nearly always blamed on a brown tree snake crossing over from one power line to the other, creating some kind of arc, and shorting the system out. I had other theories for the frequency of Guam's power outages, as did most everyone I knew. But the brown tree snake was the official reason nearly all the time.

This is the first power outage we've had, or that I've noticed, at least, since arriving. We noticed when Merlyn tried to make a phone call on the cordless phone, which was suddenly not working.

I plugged a fan in. It didn't work, either, so I checked the breakers, all of which were okay. I tried the fan in the kitchen. It didn't work, and neither did the overhead lights. I wandered across the street to check with my neighbor, to see if he had any power. He didn't, either, so I know the problem is not in our house.

UPDATE: The power was out for about 3 hours, during which time I wrote until my battery was drained, then read a book while eating leftover turkey. Shortly thereafter, the combination of tropical heat and Tryptophan put me promptly to sleep.

No comments: