Sunday, June 04, 2006

June 3: Phnom Penh

Not much to report today. Had a 5.5 hour bus ride from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia and a city that has always intrigued me.

Of course, I've never been here before, so we'll see if the intrigue remains after a few days.

I'm staying in a hotel just two blocks from the Tonle Sap river, in an area that is supposedly safe to walk around in after dark. That said, however, there appear to be very few streetlights in Phnom Penh, which will probably give "after dark" a whole new meaning!

I've been resting today, not wanting to over do it after yesterday's heat exhaustion, but will hit the streets tomorrow morning for a walking tour of the city. I'll probably spend Monday visiting a couple of Khmer Rouge genocide sites. From there, I'm not sure what will happen next.

No comments: