Friday, June 09, 2006

June 8: Phnom Penh

Due to my lack of decisiveness earlier in the week -- borne of a perfectly reasonable lack of desire to travel while sick -- I'm stuck in Phnom Penh for one more day than was strictly necessarily.

Being holed up here forced me to choose between the 14-hour train ride to Battambang or a leisurely weekend in Kampot, coupled with a trip to the old abandoned Bokor Hill Station. The train ride was always more interesting in concept than I thought it would be in reality, especially after spending 12 hours on a Thai train ten days ago. Plus, the train doesn't leave until Saturday, while I can leave for Kampot any day I choose.

So, two days ago, I decided to leave for Kampot today. However, now that Battambang was out, I needed to get my Vietnam visa in Phnom Penh. (The Vietnam consulate in Battambang was far more convenient than the one in Phnom Penh, so I had decided to get it, in person, in Battambang.) But, I waited too long to apply for the visa, and my passport now won't be back until later this afternoon, delaying my departure for Kampot until tomorrow.

After a bit of a walk and some time reading, I sought shelter from the noon sun in the Internet cafe, prompting an e-mail from Shelly that read:

Get out of the Internet cafe and explore the country instead!

Not bad advice, of course, but keeping out of the sun wasn't a bad idea, either, so I ignored her for a while, and will head out after posting this.

I'm off to Kampot tomorrow, and will be online from there at some point.

No comments: