Saturday, June 10, 2006

June 9: Kampot

The rest of yesterday went well. I got back out into the city, and discovered -- now that I'm feeling good again -- that I am getting comfortable in Phnom Penh. It's crazy, smelly, noisy and chaotic, but I sorta like it, too.

I checked on bus tickets to Ho Chi Minh City, walked by the new U.S. Embassy (a handsome building, actually), and went to the Sorya Shopping Center, the 20th Century equivalent to the old markets.

One of the things Lonely Planet promised me was "escalator trainers" in the mall. While this was not true, I did get a fantastic view of the city from the top floor, and a taste of Cambodian fast food from BB World, where I had some decent fries and a surprisingly good burger. If you scroll down a bit on this link, you'll see that BB World has only kind of stolen from McDonalds...

Today found me back on the bus, heading to Kampot, where I am tonight. Tomorrow, I'll visit the old Bokor Hill Station and see what I can of this small town. The riverfront area is quiet and peaceful, and the town is much more laid back than Phnom Penh. Not that that is a surprise, but it is a nice change.

No comments: