Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Just in Time for Christmas

Two observations from the mall today.

1. A sign reading "Countdown to Christmas: 62 Days"

Christmas comes early in the Philippines. October, to be exact. Radio stations and retail stores are already playing Christmas music -- and not just occasionally, but all the freakin' time. Shelly, in fact, has already had her company's first gift exchange. I'm not sure how many more there will be, but the system is set up so that the folks who earn more money spend more on their gifts, so naturally everyone else in the plant is hoping that Shelly will draw their name. She ended up receiving a nice pink (the in color in Manila) sarong for the first exchange.

2. At least a dozen copies of "Go Wolverines: The Insider's Look at University of Michigan Athletics" at National Book Store

Needless to say, I was tempted, as it promised a preview of the Big Ten basketball season. It was wrapped in plastic, or I would have picked it up to see what the preview looked like. I nearly put it in my shopping basket -- it was only P49, or about 90 cents -- until I looked a little closer: The publication date was January 2005.

2 comments:

Vivian said...

And you thought those of us on the Eastern Shore were behind the times! Wow, January 2005!! Do you want me to send you the most current version of the magazine?!

Anonymous said...

Cincinnati had Christmas stuff - fake trees, Santas, Snowmen, cards and all - in all the stores (including the grocery stores) before Octboer 1. I think it was out almost as soon as Labor Day passed.