Thursday, February 01, 2007

I Almost Saw Someone Famous

There's nothing like having just a little bit of knowledge.

Walking home today, I came across a line of green taxis in Wan Chai, parked in front of a building that houses a bank branch, several commercial shops and, probably, a load of office buildings. Normally, a line of taxis in Hong Kong is completely unremarkable (except that since I'm in Hong Kong, I should be calling it a queue rather than a line). But I learned just last week that green taxis are licensed on Lantau Island, blue taxis are licensed in the New Territories and red taxis are licensed in Kowloon and on Hong Kong Island. In fact, before today, I had never seen any Hong Kong taxi other than red ones, which is precisely why a queue of green taxis in Wan Chai caught my eye.

Apparently, someone famous -- perhaps someone from Lantau -- chartered a group of taxis for a trip to Hong Kong. I have no idea who was visiting, but assume from the presence of the Hong Kong paparazzi (or at least the Hong Kong press) that someone interesting was inside. Once I realized that I probably wouldn't recognize them once they emerged, I headed for home to make dinner. But, you know, it could have been interesting...

No comments: