Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chinese New Year, Day 2

It's Day Two of Chinese New Year here in Hong Kong. Last night's parade in Tsim Sha Tsui was somewhat of a disappointment, though that may be because I was not patient enough.

I arrived T-S-T, on the southern tip of the Kowloon peninsula, a bit before 7 for a parade that was to begin at 8. Even though the crowds were three or four deep in most places, my amazing gwailo height and a slight upward slope of the sidewalk gave me a decent view and I quickly found a decent spot to watch the parade from. An hour's worth of Bob and Sheri podcasts kept me entertained while I waited for the parade.

And then I listened to another hour. By 9, all I had seen were a bunch of kids doing bicycle tricks and a float from Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong airline which sponsors the parade. After waiting 10 minutes after the Cathay Pacific float, I gave up and went home. I'm sure there were interesting things to be seen, but I decided that two hours and ten minutes were long enough to stand on a Kowloon street corner.

I did shoot some video on my cell phone and put together this minute-long clip. It's not great quality -- it was shot with a phone, after all, and you're watching it on the Internet -- but it's kind of interesting.

No comments: