Monday, February 20, 2006

Cooking

One of the things I've been trying to do -- at least when Shelly is home -- is to stretch my culinary skills.

Shelly bought me a Filipino cook book for my birthday last year, and I've been making something new out of it every other week or so. I've made caldereta, adobo, menudo and a fish soup that I love, but that Shelly is kind of, shall we say, lukewarm about. Here's a version I made with zucchini a couple of weeks ago:




Trust me when I tell you that it tastes better than it looks, at least in this picture. To make this soup, I use rice water, a term I had never heard before. All you do is rinse some rice with some water -- since you're in the Philippines, you'll presumably cook the rice for dinner, to go with the soup -- and use the water in the soup. I'm not sure what function it serves, but it does make the broth turn to jelly when the leftovers are refrigerated.

The paella that I've been working on for the past couple of weeks has its roots in Spanish cooking, I believe, but it's been part of Filipino cooking since the Philippines was a colony of Spain in the 1800s and before.

I've been experimenting with food that's more familiar, too. Shelly and I recently made pizzas, and tacos are a recurring theme.




Yes, that's asparagus, corn and chicken. Nobody said it was like calling Domino's.




Last week, I made my first-ever homemade baked macaroni and cheese. It tasted fine, but it wasn't gooey enough, so I'm going to have to try it again, maybe with some mozarella added to the mix next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since tacos are a mainstay for you and since you have a plentiful supply of fish, how about making fish tacos? They're quickly becoming a staple for us on the east coast.

Fiona said...

OK I'm jealous of anyone who lives somewhere you can get fresh fish! I LOVE fish tacos. Kentucky is not exactly a haven for seafood.

Anonymous said...

Hey - that soup looks like soups (and other dishes) cooked in my kitchen here in Cincinnati. Probably has something to do with the Palauan man in there that's cooking! I have a spoon - can I taste?

Bernadine

Greg said...

I have not yet convinced Shelly that she likes fish tacos. I'm working on that, though.

What kind of fish do you guys use, and how do you prepare it?

And, Berni, if you visit the Philippines, we promise to feed you well!