Friday, February 03, 2006

Ha ha ha! This One's For Kathy

After hearing about how Shelly tortured her mother in Los Angeles by making her go first to a mall and then to Wal*Mart, I thought of her when I came across a link to this story.

It's a fairly long story that really does prove that news is only interesting when it affects you, so I won't bore you with too many details. The story, from a paper in northern Louisiana, tells of a businessman who started a store -- Dollar Palace -- in a town that nobody else wanted to touch, and how he's now facing competition from Family Dollar, a national chain that carries much of the same merchandise that he carries.

The story is not interesting for that reason -- though it is interesting, if you follow the slow death of small, independent businesses in America -- but I post it for this quote:

Debra Jackson said she likes shopping at the Dollar Palace because it is convenient and casual. "I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something," she said.

When we get back to Maryland, perhaps I should start wearing a tie to Wal*Mart...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't have to in Iowa! Just be able to slither between many racks placed close together.

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't have to in Iowa! Just be able to slither between many racks placed close together.