Saturday, February 04, 2006

Walk the Line

I'll finally get to see the Johnny Cash bio-pic.




"Walk the Line" came out months ago in the States, but only opened yesterday in Manila. Considering that I've yet to run into anybody in the Philippines who has even heard of Johnny Cash, I'd better go this weekend. I have heard from a number of people that it was a great movie, on par with "Ray," and it's already won a bunch of awards.

One of the most interesting things to me is that Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspooon were hand-picked by Johnny and June to play them in the movie. I'm only a recent fan. I bought my first Johnny Cash CD -- American IV: The Man Comes Around -- in 2004. It's part of a series of recordings that he recorded near the end of his life with producer Rick Rubin, and it got me hooked. It includs covers of a bunch of artists you'd never expect to hear Johnny Cash singing, including U2 and Nine Inch Nails.

Amazing thing is, I think I've even talked Shelly into going with me, and she's definitely not a fan of the Man in Black...

2 comments:

Greg said...

I would agree with that, Fi. I was actually not sure that I would like Phoenix in the role, but he really did nail Johnny Cash. There were times, especially when he was singing, that he looked and sounded just like a young Cash.

Incidentally, a week ago I was flipping through the satellite TV channels and saw him on TV. It was highlights from a bunch of old Billy Graham revivals that Johnny and/or June had performed at, old gospel songs and stuff like that.

Greg said...

Fiona's original comment seems to have disappeared. Blogger has been doing some weird stuff lately.

In case it doesn't reappear, here's her original post:



Let me know what you think. I've only recently got into his music as well - seeing the movie made me realise just how many of his songs I know and like. I also think the Joaquin Phoenix has been overshadowed by Reese Witherspoon and that while she was good, he has not gotten the kudos he deserves for this role.

--
Posted by Fiona to Mister Tanaka's Overseas Adventures at 2/04/2006 08:02:50 AM