Saturday, February 18, 2006

Garbage, Part 2

There's an industrious soul in our neighborhood.

Friday is garbage and recycling day. To make sure I don't miss the pick up, I take our garbage and recycling to the curb on Thursday evening.

And by Friday morning, well before the official garbage and recycling truck has come by to collect our discarded odds and ends, most of our recycling has already been picked up.

The aluminum cans are always gone. They have been pretty much every Friday since we arrived. But within the past couple of months, glass started disappearing. In the past few weeks, the newspaper has been collected.

It doesn't make any difference to me who picks up our recycling -- I'm glad it's being put to good use. And if somebody can make a few pesos by doing it, why not?

***

Shelly's off again today. I took her to the airport this afternoon, where she hopped on a flight to Dubai where she'll be working at a trade show early next week.

Am I jealous? Sure. I'd like to go to Dubai. But I know that all of Shelly's traveling can be hard on her. She'll be on her feet for hours every day at the trade show, and she'll probably only have a few hours to explore the city and the souks.

Meanwhile, I'll be here, watching movies and working on a bunch of freelance assignments that all seem to be coming up at the same time. That will all keep me plenty busy.

No comments: